Monday, November 16, 2009

Free Money!!! for music

Did you know that you can get free money to create or promote your music? I have applied and won a number of grants from the Canadian government for myself and other artists. Why shouldn't you?

Here are a few tips for getting free money?

The 3 P's:

Purpose: In order to convince someone to give you free money to help you create and promote your music, you must first be able to answer one fundamental question? "Why should anyone give me money for my music for free?" You must understand that the government only gives money to artists who they believe will use the money wisely! You must have a convincing argument as to why they should give the money to you.

Planning:
These grants usually have several deadlines a year. It may seem like you have a lot of time to get all your materials together before the deadline but you need a lot of different materials in order to submit a complete grant application. An incomplete application is worse that not applying at all. GIVE YOURSELF PLENTY OF TIME. (Start at least a month in advance!)

Persistence: It took me 7 tries before I received my first grant. I'm pretty sure most people probably quit after one or two tries. Why did it take so long? Through the years my music became better which certainly helped but more importantly, after each rejection I learned a little bit more about what they were looking for in an application. I learned, adapted, and reaped the benefits. I also had the privilege of acting as a judge for F.A.C.T.O.R. which gave me an inside guide to what judges were looking for when they awarded money. Get involved!

Today, I consult artists who want to apply for grants. Its free money, why aren't you applying?

Note: There is no guarantee that by applying for the grants below, you will receive money, but isn't it worth a shot?

Links to visit:
www.factor.ca/
www.canadacouncil.ca/music/
www.videofact.ca/
www.starmaker.ca/


www.yourprosound.com

1 Artist 1 Beat
blog comments powered by Disqus